Use of Best protein powder for kids is very important to attain optimal growth and development in the childhood. Because most of the time protein requirement from the natural food sources is not fulfilled resulting in hampering overall growth.
Our highly qualified and experienced team of healthcare professionals will give you through knowledge about the use of best protein powder For kids, clearing your doubts and myths, and will make you able to choose what is best one for your kid.
What are Proteins ? | What are amino acids ?
Proteins are macromolecules made up of amino acids. Amino acids are also called as building blocks. There are 20 different amino acids out of which Nine amino acids—histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine—are not synthesized in the human body and hence to be supplied from outside.
What is Whey Protein? | What is Protein Isolate?
Whey protein powder for kids is the protein derived from whey. Whey is the watery portion of milk that separates from the curds when making cheese. Protein isolate is a highly concentrated form of protein that contains all the essential amino acids your body needs. Protein isolate is often used by athletes and body builders to help build muscle mass. But both of these can be used as dietary supliment as good protein powder for kids.
Why proteins are importanat for kids ?
- Body Building, Muscle Growth and Repair: Protein is essential for building and repairing muscles, making it particularly important for athletes, bodybuilders, and anyone engaging in regular physical activity.
- Metabolism : The thermic effect of protein is higher compared to carbohydrates and fats, meaning your body expends more energy to digest and process protein-rich foods, which can contribute to a slightly higher metabolic rate.
- Weight Management: Protein-rich foods help you feel full and satisfied, which can aid in controlling appetite and reducing overall calorie intake, thereby supporting weight loss or maintenance.
- Bone Health: Protein is a building block for bones, helping to maintain bone density and strength, especially when combined with other bone-healthy nutrients like calcium and vitamin D.
- Tissue Maintenance: Proteins are not only important for muscles but also for maintaining and repairing tissues throughout the body, including skin, hair, nails, and internal organs.
- Blood Sugar Regulation: Protein can help stabilize blood sugar levels by slowing down the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates, preventing rapid spikes and crashes in blood sugar.
- Hormone Production: Many hormones are made from amino acids, the building blocks of protein. Adequate protein intake supports the production of hormones that regulate various bodily functions.
- Immune System Support: Protein plays a vital role in the production of antibodies and immune system cells, contributing to a strong and effective immune response.
Transport and Storage: Proteins are involved in transporting molecules like oxygen (hemoglobin), lipids (lipoproteins), and other essential nutrients throughout the body, ensuring proper function and health.
What is daily protein requirement in kids?
Broadly daily protein requirement for a healthy kid is 1-2 gm per kg of body weight. That means roughly a healthy kid of 10kg requires 10gm proteins per day. This requirement may increase in sickness, illness recovery period or targeting some athletic goals.
What are symptoms of Protein Deficiency in Kids?
Protein deficiency in children can lead to various health issues. Here are some common symptoms that may indicate a lack of adequate protein intake:
- Stunted Growth: One of the most noticeable signs of protein deficiency is slowed or stunted growth in children. Insufficient protein can hinder the growth and development of bones and muscles.
- Frequent Infections: Proteins play a critical role in immune system function. A deficiency can weaken the immune response, making children more susceptible to infections and illnesses.
- Fatigue and Weakness: Insufficient protein can result in low energy levels, fatigue, and overall weakness, which can impact a child’s ability to engage in physical activities and perform daily tasks.
- Edema : Protein deficiency can lead to fluid retention and swelling, particularly in the legs, feet, and face. This condition is known as edema and is caused by a decrease in the protein albumin in the blood.
- Muscle Wasting: Inadequate protein intake can cause muscles to break down for energy, resulting in muscle wasting and weakness. Children may appear thin and have reduced muscle mass.
- Reduced Appetite: Children with protein deficiency might exhibit a reduced appetite or aversion to protein-rich foods due to the body’s attempts to conserve energy.
- Hair and Skin Changes: Protein deficiency can lead to brittle hair, hair loss, and skin issues. Hair may become thin, dry, and lackluster, while skin may become dry and prone to infections.
- Delayed Wound Healing: Proteins are essential for tissue repair and wound healing. Protein-deficient children may experience slower healing times for cuts, bruises, and other injuries.
- Irritability and Mood Changes: Protein deficiency can affect neurotransmitter production and balance, potentially leading to mood swings, irritability, and difficulty concentrating.
It’s important to note that protein deficiency is generally rare in well-balanced diets, especially in areas where access to a variety of foods is available. If you suspect that a child is experiencing symptoms of protein deficiency, it’s crucial to seek medical attention and consult a healthcare professional for proper evaluation and guidance.
What is Undernutrition and Malnutrition ? | What is PEM ?
Undernutrition is deficient intake of nutrients. Malnutrition is imbalance in the intake of nutrients. Protein Energy Malnutrition is the extremely deficient intake or absorption of nutrients (specially proteins) and energy. PEM is is a potentially fatal body-depletion disorder. In PEM there is loss of more than 10% of body weight over a period of less than 6 months. As per World Health Organisation (WHO) PEM is one of the major cause of morbidity and mortality in developing countries and poor population. This can be successfully overcome by increasing regular usage of best protein powder for kids in childhood..
Which Natural Foods Are Rich In Proteins?
Protein rich Vegetarian foods
- Soyabean (42%)
- Pulses and Beans (20%)
- Milk (4%)
Protein Rich Non-Vegetarian foods
- Chicken (27%)
- Egg (14%)
- Fish (22%)
What Are Protein Powders?
Protein powders are powdered forms of protein made from plants sources are known as organic protein powder for kids ( for example – soybeans, peas, other beans ), from animal sources ( for example – eggs, milk and others). Vegan protein powder for kids are strictly derived from plant sources and doesn’t contain animal origin food like dairy food. The powders may include other ingredients such as added sweeteners, artificial flavoring agents, vitamins and minerals. Best protein powder for kids are readily available, concentrated and easily digestible. Hence they play very important role in optimizing kid’s daily required protein quantity.
In which situations we must consider supplimentation of Protein powder for kids?
- Poor growth records or stunted growth
- Poor Immunity, Child falling sick recurrently
- Thin body, poor muscle mass, exercise intolerance
- Diet deficient in providing required amount of proteins.
- Poor or choosy dietary habits
- Recovering from illness
- Want to achieve some athlete goal
What are pros and cons of Protein Powder over food sources ?
Advantages of Protein powder over food sources in kids:
- Concentrated : Protein Powders are very much concentrated and hence provide high quantity of proteins even with less amount of powder consumption.
- Readily available : These are made for instant use hence can be available any time in the households. they have long shelf life and doesn’t require any special storage conditions.
- Easy to consume : Doesn’t require any special skill or recepie to prepare it for consumption. Most of them can be dissolved in water or milk and can be consumed instantly.
- Meet the purpose : They provide only concentrated proteins and doesn’t provide high calouries and other unwanted fats and carbohydrates as we receive them unnecessarily when we try to consume proteins from food sources like chicken, milk, eggs etc.
- Easy to digest : Most of the protein powders available in market are specially designed to absorb easily when consumed in high and concentrated quantity.
- All other benefits of proteins like growth and development, immunity, Muscle growth etc.
Disadvantages of Protein powder for kids over food sources :
- Side effects of protein powder when used in children are usually associated with overconsumption. Usually there are no disadvantages if you give Protein powder for kids in recommended quantity of a trusted brand.
Best Protein Powder Brands
|Index||Name of the product||Protein content per 100gm||Approx price |
|1.||PediaSure||14.1 gm||809/-||400 gm|
|2.||PentaSure||21 gm||695/-||400 gm|
|3.||FN Kids Protein||25 gm||521/-||400 gm|
|4.||Groviva||14 gm||578/-||400 gm|
|5.||Little Joys Nutrimix||25 gm||749/-||300 gm|
|6.||Pedia Gold Plus||14.25||1289/-||400 gm|
|7.||Horlicks||11 gm||275/-||500 gm|
|8.||Bournvita||7 gm||445/-||1 kg|
|9.||Boost||7.5 gm||501/-||1 kg|
|10.||Complan||18 gm||258/-||500 gm|
(* User can choose anyone of the above Top 10 list of best protein powder for kids depending upon the expectations regarding – Price, flavor, availability and protein content. Prices are updated in the month of August 2023.)
Doubts in parent’s mind :
- Can I give my 7 year old protein powder?
- Yes. You can give him.
- What is the right age to drink protein shakes?
- Anyone above 6 months of age can use protein powder or shakes but its advisable to consult doctor before using in very young kids less than 2 years.
- Can I use 3 year old protein powder?
- No. Always check for expiry date.
- Is PediaSure good for 10 year old?
- Yes, its good for this age.
- How can I help my child gain weight?
- The trusted way is to use best protein powder for kids along with dietary management.
- What is the best nutrition drink for kids?
- All the protein powders mentioned above are the best.
- Which is better Horlicks or Protinex?
- Horlicks contain less protein as compared to Proteinex. Hence the choice depends on what amount of protein you expect.
- How to make best protein powder for kids at home?
- We can make the powder of the protein rich food like pulses but we cannot make concentrated protein powder for children at home.
- How much protein a day for kids?
- Usually a kid requires the protein in gram equal to his body weight daily. For example a 10kg kid needs 10gm of protein daily.
- Is Protinex good for weight gain?
- Protinex provides good amount of proteins, hence protinex is good for weight gain.
- What is better than PediaSure?
- Comparison between the different protein powder brands depends upon the protein content, additional nutrients and palatability. So the best protein powder for kids depends upon individual choice and requirements. All above mentioned Top ten powders are good.
- What is the age limit for Horlicks protein?
- Can be used after age of 6 months.
- Is Protinex better than complain?
- Protinex contain higher amount of protein than complain. But still additionally the choice depends upon the additional nutrients, palatability and digestibility.
- Is complan good for health?
- Yes, Complan provides additional protein, nutrients and energy. Hence its good for health as a dietory supliment.
- Why do doctors recommend Protinex?
- Sometimes doctors prescribe Protinex as best protein powder for kids because of higher protein content, brand trust, choice of different flavors and good results.
- Is bournvita good or Horlicks?
- Both are trusted brands manufactured by reputed manufacturers. The individual choice depends upon the protein content, additional nutrients, palatability, digestibility, availability and cost effectiveness.
- Can PediaSure increase weight?
- PediaSure if used in proper dosage can definitely increase weight if child is not having other health issues.
- What should kids drink everyday?
- Kids diet should be balanced for providing all essential nutrients. Everyday kids can drink milk , fruit juices protein powder etc.
- Will PediaSure help my child grow?
- Yes, Pediasure if used in proper way and amount can help children’s growth.
- What is the age limit for Pediasure?
- Recommended age is above 2 years but can be used below 2 years in special situations with the advise of doctor.
- Which supplements are best for kids?
- Kids require regular supplements containing protein, vitamins and minerals to meet the recommended dietary intake.
- What is Nutrilite kids drink?
- Nutralite Kids Drink is manufactured by Amway and provides protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.
- What is the age limit for Protinex powder?
- Recommended age is above 2 years.
- What is vegan protein powder made up of?
- Vegan protein powders are made using protein extracted from plant-based foods such as pea, soy, hemp, brown rice and sometimes pumpkin seed or buckwheat.
Which is best protein powder for kids?
There are Many Protein Powders in market but its always better to choose among the above list.
Can a 12 year old drink protein shakes?
A 12 year child can definitely drink Protein Shake.
Can I use 4 year old protein powder?
As every pack of protein powder for kids have printed expiry date written over it, you can use it only before expiry date.
Is Protinex good for kids?
Proteinex is a one of the best protein powder for kids. You can use it without any hesitation.
Is PediaSure a protein shake?
Pediasure is one of the best protein powder for kids. you can use it by making a protein shake of it.