Guidelines for yellow fever vaccination in India are strictly followed. Because yellow fever is one of the most lethal viral fever having high potential to spread in epidemic. Till now India is free from yellow fever. Hence foreign travelers from yellow fever endemic countries are not permitted to enter in India if they are not vaccinated. Indian citizens also has to be vaccinated before travelling to such countries.
What Is Yellow Fever ?
Yellow fever is a viral fever caused by arboviruses and transmitted by mosquito bites.
- Symptoms and signs
- Fever and Chills : Sudden onset of high fever is a hallmark symptom of yellow fever. Intense shivering and chills often accompany the fever.
- Severe Myalgia and Headache: Aching muscles and Severe headaches, sometimes described as throbbing or pounding, can be a prominent symptom.
- Joint and Back Pain: Joint pain, often referred to as arthralgia, is common in yellow fever cases. Pain in the lower back area is another common symptom.
- Nausea,Vomiting and Loss of Appetite: Feeling nauseous and vomiting are frequent symptoms during the initial stages of the disease. A decreased desire to eat is often reported.
- Weakness and Fatigue: Patients often experience profound weakness and exhaustion.
- Dark Urine: Dark-colored urine can be a sign of liver involvement and breakdown of red blood cells.
- Jaundice: As the disease progresses, yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice) may occur due to liver involvement.
- Bleeding: Some severe cases may lead to bleeding, such as nosebleeds, bleeding gums, or even internal bleeding.
- Delirium,Confusion and seizures: In severe cases, patients might experience confusion, irritability, and delirium and convulsions.
- Multi-Organ Failure and DEATH : In the most severe cases, yellow fever can progress to multiple organ failure, which can be life-threatening.
- Diagnosis and treatment
- Diagnosis: Yellow fever is very difficult to diagnose. It has overlapping symptoms like Leptospirosis, maleria, viral hepatitis and dengue which are more prevalent in India. Tests like PCR, ELISA and PRNT are helpful for diagnosis.
- Treatment : There is no specific treatment for yellow fever. Treatment is supportive only and depends upon clinical meni-festations and condition of the patient. Relief from fever, myalgia, correcting dehydration, prevention of liver and kidney failure are the mainstay of the treatment.
Vaccination is the only effective way of prevention from yellow fever disease.
Only single dose of vaccine is required for lifetime immunity.
Everybody above the age of 9 months can be vaccinated except pregnant and immunodeficient.
Why its important to take vaccine ?
Yellow Fever Vaccination In India
It is sub-cutaneous 0.5ml single dose vaccine costing approximately 300/- in India. Its given only at government authorized centers by appointment. (Refer list below)
Centers For Yellow Fever Vaccination In India
|Vaccination Centers In Delhi|
|1. Airport Health Organisation, New Delhi|
Code : YFVC-007/APD
Address : Airport Health Organization, Delhi (APHO, DELHI),
Near Radisson Hotel Mahipalpur,
opp. The Toll Barrier & AAI Complex on approach road,
from Radisson Hotel to Terminal- 3, IGI Airport, New Delhi-110037
Tel : 011 25652129
2. Armed Force Clinic, New Delhi
Code : YFVC-008/AFC
Address : Dalhousie Road, New Delhi-110011
Tel : 011 23019405 (O)
3. Public Health Lab Building, Delhi
Code : YFVC-009/PHL
Address : Near Gate 3, Vidhan Sabha Metro Station,
Tel : 011 23972058
4. Dr. RML Hospital, New Delhi
Code : YFVC-010/RML
Address : Yellow Fever Vaccination Centre,
RML HOSPITAL, NEW DELHI 110001 ,
Tel : 011 23404286
5. Health Department, International Inoculation Centre,
Code : YFVC-011/HDI
Address : International Inoculation Centre,
New Delhi Municipal Council, Mandir Marg, Adjacent to St.
Thomas School New Delhi – 110001
Tel : 011-23362284
6. Commandant, Base Hospital, Delhi
Code : YFVC-012/CBH
Address : Commandant, Base Hospital, Delhi Cantt., Delhi-10
Tel : 011-23337008
|Yellow Fever Vaccination Centers In Mumbai and Maharashtra|
|1. Airport Health Organization, Mumbai |
Code : YFVC-031/AHM
Address : Airport Health Organization C.S.I.,
Andheri East, Mumbai 400099
Tel : 022 28392429
2. Port Health Organization, Mumbai
Code : YFVC-032/PHM
Address : Seamen’s Medical Examination Organisation
& Yellow Fever Vaccination Center,
Nav Bhavan Building, Ramjbhai Kamani Marg,
Ballard Estate, Mumbai-400001
Tel : 022-22612256 (Centre) 022-22020027(Office)
3. Station Health Organisation (Navy), Old Navy Nagar Colaba
Code : YFVC-033/SHO
Address : Station Health Organisation (Navy),
Old Navy Nagar, Colaba, Mumbai-400005
Tel : 02222152080 (O)
4. Grant Medical College & JJ Hospital Bykulla, Mumbai
Code : YFCV-034/GMC
Tel : 022 23735555
5. Family Welfare & Research Centre, Mumbai
Address : Khetwadi, Mumbai 400004
Tel : 022 23881724
6. B.J. Govt. Medical College (BJMC), Pune
Code : YFVC-036/BJM
Address : Jai Prakash Narayan Road, Near Pune Railway Station,
Pune, Maharashtra 411001 Tel : 020- 26102201
7. Daga Memorial Government Women Hospital, Nagpur
Code : YFVC-037/DMG Near Agrasen Chowk, Gandhibagh,
Nagpur, Maharashtra 411001
8. K. E. M. Hospital and Seth G. S. Medical College, Mumbai
Code : YFVC-038/KEM Yellow fever vaccination centre,
KEM hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400012 Tel : 022-24107319
(Click above for Centres of Yellow Fever Vaccination In India)
What are countries with Endemic yellow fever ?
Government of India recognizes following countries as high risk for yellow fever transmission.
|African Countries||American Countries|
|Benin, Burundi, Burkina Faso||Bolivia, Brazil|
|Cameroon, Congo, Chad, |
Cetral African Republic,
|Democratic Republic of Congo||Ecuador|
|Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia||French Guyana|
|Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, |
Guinea Bissau, The Gambia
|Senegal, Sierra Leone, |
South Sudan, Sudan
Important Points about Vaccine:
- Every vaccinee is provided a valid yellow fever vaccination card after vaccination and is valid for the lifetime.
- Only vaccine given by government authorized centers of India or by WHO is valid for Indian citizens.
- Certificate is considered for travelling only after 10 days of vaccination.
Documents required for vaccination
- Immunization card (Children)
- Medical / Treatment card (Elderly and with chronic diseases)
Is yellow fever vaccine available in India?
Yes. Yellow fever vaccine is available in government authorized vaccination centers in India. (You can refer above text for list of centers)
Which brand of yellow fever vaccine is available in India ?
Its Stamaril brand is used for Yellow Fever Vaccination In India.
At what month yellow fever vaccine is given ?
Anybody above 9 months of age can receive yellow fever vaccine.
How many days before yellow fever vaccine is required?
Yellow fever vaccine has to be taken at least 10 days before travelling to endemic countries.
In which arm yellow fever vaccine is given?
0.5 ml of Yellow fever vaccine is given in upper arm subcutaneously.
Where i can get yellow fever vaccine ?
You can get it at certain government authorized centers for Yellow Fever Vaccination In India.
Who can not take yellow fever vaccine?
Children of less than 9 months old, immuno-compromised, pregnant ladies can not take yellow fever vaccine.
What is cost of yellow fever vaccine in India ?
Single dose costs around 300 INR.
Is yellow fever vaccine compulsory ?
Yes, It’s Compulsory for travelers to YF endemic countries. And it’s also compulsory to the citizen of YF endemic countries if they travel to non-endemic countries like India.
What is yellow fever ?
Yellow fever is viral fever spread by mosquito bites.